Is it time for home care?
These days especially, many adult children have not been able to see or visit their parents in person. Often family doesn’t realize that mom or dad is struggling with day to day chores, or that everyday tasks are increasingly difficult to manage. Below are some signals that it might be time to consider getting mom or dad some help:
- Difficulty making and/ or keeping appointments
- Noticeable weight loss
- No longer cooking
- Stopped attending activities they once enjoyed
- Unsteady on their feet or while walking (or falls reported)
- Confusion when performing once-familiar tasks
- Not taking medications properly or at all
- Poor personal hygiene
- Home is messy and things are piling up
- Laundry is not being done
- Unopened mail is laying around
- Old or spoiled food in refrigerator
- Bills are not getting paid
- Unexplained dents & scratches on the car
- Confusion with directions or gets lost when driving familiar routes
If you notice your loved one experiencing some of these signs, it doesn’t mean they must move from the home they love and are familiar. Many seniors are able to continue living in the comfort of their own home with a little help from a reputable home care company. Home care can range from companionship and transportation to meal preparation, laundry assistance, bathing safety and so much more. For some, it is like having a personal assistant or close friend, while others need someone to take a more active role in keeping the household chores under control (changing bedding, grocery shopping, vacuuming and the like). We find customizing the care for each client plus matching personalities of the staff and client is key to keeping seniors happy and thriving in their home. Talk to your mom or dad about the possibility of making their life easier with some help, you’ll both be glad you did.
Comments are closed.